Saturday, October 1, 2011

Slick Willy Bemoans Perceived Legacy

Ex-president Bill Clinton is whining about his perceived legacy. And all of us know how valuable that is to the connoisseur of cigars and pizza. He bemoaned the reality of conventional wisdom during a speech at his presidential library and spa:

“I go crazy every time I read the conventional wisdom,” he said Friday night at his presidential library in Little Rock, Ark. “So part of the Republican narrative is that I was ‘saved’ from myself by the election of the Republican Congress [in 1994] that ‘forced me’ to do welfare reform and ‘made the balanced budget possible.’”

Clinton said reporters and commentators “keep saying this, overlooking all relevant facts.”

The facts are the Clinton administration didn’t act on anything until it was poll tested. Hell, the Clintons even had a focus group decide their vacations.

But I will give Slick Willy credit where credit is due. In 1993, the Clinton administration began its public/private housing initiative that brought about an economic bubble unseen since the tulip mania of the seventeenth century. It was under his stewardship that brought about the machinations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. So, I’ll give him his due, and hopefully future historians will too.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0911/64881.html#ixzz1ZYPDYHma


No comments: