Monday, July 31, 2017

Filthy Cities, Thank God for Modernity



A couple of months ago, I came across a 1771 map depicting the city of New Bern in a book entitled, Poorest of the Thirteen: North Carolina and the Southern Department in the American Revolution.  What I found fascinating is the area where the Marriott Courtyard on Front Street currently resides is where a distillery operated downstream from a tannery.  I couldn’t help but think of how unsanitary that was.  To me that is unbelieveable.






Later on, I watched a documentary called Filthy Cities which demonstrated just how disgusting 14th century London, 18th century Paris and 19th century New York City really were.  The narrator describes the stench from human and animal waste that collected on the streets and how the residence tried to cope with it.  Some of it was humorous; other parts were quite disgusting.  And as you can guess one of the major culprits were tanneries.







The next time I hear a libtard bitch about Western civilization, modernity and its corrosive effect on the climate, I’ll pull a Clockwork Orange on his ass and force him to watch Filthy Cities, then maybe he’ll thank his lucky stars he lives in the age of the automobile instead of slogging through three feet of horse shit.


Source:


No comments: