Sunday, July 29, 2018

Travel Shows for the Working Man


As a working man, I have to be content within the confines a job and the concomitant responsibilities it affords me. For example, I do not have leisure to be a world traveler. As much as I like the idea of experiencing other people, cultures and historical sites, I don’t have the time, or the money to indulge my fancies. Being a vagabond is not part of my DNA. I’m sure there are millions of other Americans who are just like me and that’s probably the reason travel shows are popular.

Rick Steves’ European travels are well known. He presents an entertaining, safe and at times historically sanitized travelogue that makes anyone who watches it envious. Oh, he will give advice on how to protect your valuables from pickpockets, but overall it’s a fantasy vacation few will experience.





One of my favorites was Karl Pilkington’s, An Idiot Abroad. I don’t believe this guy intends to be funny, but you can’t help but laugh at his observations and commentary as he blunders through one episode after another. If I can relate to anyone on vacation disasters, its Karl Pilkington. I’m sure I’ve had the same WTF expression of my face as he. I do miss that show.


A couple of weeks ago, I watched Sue Perkins, The Ganges. I don’t normally like to watch a travel series about third world countries unless it’s unvarnished and that’s exactly what she brought to the table. She didn’t even spit polish it. She described India as it truly is: a shithole. Sure, she highlighted the good aspects, but overall it's a shithole.





There is one scene which is absolutely hilarious. Ms. Perkins was meandering down a back alley when she slipped and fell, scraping her knee. But that wasn’t all. She landed her hand in a pile of human poo. LOL!!! Her reaction was priceless. She cried out for her mommy and wanted to go home. Now that’s an unsanitized travelogue! You won’t see that on Rick Steves,

I do hope she produces more travel shows. Maybe she can visit another third world shithole called San Francisco. At least they provide poop pile maps.
  


No comments: