Sunday, June 16, 2013

A Must Read: Nathaniel Philbrick's Bunker Hill




I guess I can give thanks for the sad state of talk radio in the Charlotte, North Carolina area.  Had it not been for the insipid and banal commentary that permeates WBT 1110 AM I wouldn’t have changed the channel to – of all places – NPR. 

The only time I can get NPR is when I’m driving.  My pocket transistor doesn’t pick it up.  That’s right a transistor radio!  Got a problem with that?  It just so happened that Dianne Rehm was interviewing Nathaniel Philbrick on his latest book, Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution.  I knew right then that I had to put it on my reading list.

If you are an American history buff, you’ll love this book.  The author reintroduces a cast of characters that time has forgotten, from the Boston Massacre to the British evacuation.   You’ll be in awe of the resolve of New Englanders, who are “religious, ornery, and clannish.”
 
 

No comments: