EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 14 GOVERNOR’S ADVISORY COUNCIL ON HISPANIC
June 10, 2013
WHEREAS, the Hispanic/Latino community plays an important role in the economy, diversity, and progress of North Carolina; and
WHEREAS, the number of Hispanic/Latino residents of this State continues to grow; and
WHEREAS, it is important the State remain responsive to the needs of its constituents; and;
WHEREAS, the State should promote and encourage cooperation and communication with the Hispanic/Latino community in order to ensure that Hispanic/Latino North Carolinians have access to important State services and programs; and
WHEREAS, engagement and cooperation is in the best interest of the State and will help in developing solutions to ensure the State meets the needs of all North Carolinians.
NOW THEREFORE, by the power by the power vested in me as Governor by the Constitution and laws of the State of North Carolina, IT IS ORDERED:
Section 1. Established
The Governor’s Advisory Council on Hispanic/Latino Affairs (hereinafter the “Advisory Council”) is hereby reestablished.
Section 2. Membership
The Advisory Council shall consist of fifteen (15) voting members. All members shall be appointed by the Governor for a term of two (2) years and serve at the pleasure of the Governor. A vacancy occurring during a term of appointment shall be filled by the Governor for the balance of the unexpired term. The Governor shall appoint a Chair and Vice-Chair from among the membership of the Advisory Council.
In addition to the fifteen (15) voting members, the following representatives, selected by the applicable department or agency head, shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members:
1. One representative from the NC Department of Commerce selected by the Secretary;
2. One representative from the Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses selected by the Secretary of the Department of Administration;
3. One representative from the NC Department of Health and Human Services selected by the Secretary;
4. One representative from the NC Department of Public Safety selected by the Secretary;
5. One representative from the NC Department of Transportation selected by the Secretary;
6. One representative from the NC Department of Revenue selected by the Secretary;
7. One representative from the Employment Security Commission selected by the Assistant Secretary;
8. One representative from the Office of the Governor selected by the Governor.
Additionally, the Advisory Council shall invite the following representatives, selected by the elected Council of State members, to serve as ex-officio, non-voting members:
1. One representative from the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services selected by the Commissioner;
2. One representative from the NC Department of Labor selected by the Commissioner;
3. One representative from the NC Department of Public Instruction selected by the Superintendent; and
4. One representative from the NC Department of Justice selected by the Attorney General.
Section 3. Meetings
The Advisory Council shall meet quarterly or upon the call of the Governor or the Chair. The Chair shall set the agenda for the Advisory Council’s meetings. The Advisory Council may establish such committees or other working groups as are necessary to assist in performing its duties.
Section 4. Duties
The Governor’s Advisory Council on Hispanic/Latino Affairs shall advise the Governor on issues related to the Hispanic/Latino community in North Carolina and support State efforts to promote cooperation and understanding between the Hispanic/Latino community, the general public, the State, federal, and local governments.
The Advisory Council shall provide a forum for the discussion of issues concerning the Hispanic/Latino community in North Carolina and support efforts towards the improvement of race and ethnic relations.
The Advisory Council shall perform other duties as directed by the Governor.
Section 5. Administration
The Office of the Governor shall provide all administrative and staff support services required by the Advisory Council. Members shall serve without compensation, but may receive necessary travel and subsistence expenses in accordance with State law and the policies and regulations of the Office of State Budget and Management.
Section 6. Effect and Duration
This Executive Order is effective immediately. It supersedes and replaces all other executive orders on this subject and specifically rescinds Executive Order No. 22, dated September 4, 2010 and Executive Order No. 128, dated September 7, 2007. This Executive Order shall remain in effect until June 1, 2017, pursuant to N.C. Gen. Stat. § 147-16.2(b), or until earlier rescinded
H/T: NC Renegade