Saturday, May 23, 2015

We Have Driver's Licenses. Why not Voter's Licenses?





One of the rites of passage in becoming a responsible adult is obtaining a driver’s license.  We’ve all been through the rigors of passing both written and driving test before being allowed behind the wheel.  No one wants a pimply faced teenager let loose on the public without him first demonstrating knowledge of the rules of the road.

When I moved to North Carolina I had to take a written test, even though I had been driving for over ten years.  I, once again, had to take a test upon renewal a couple of years ago.  This is the state’s way of making sure I know what the hell I’m doing on the public thoroughfares.  This is reasonable.

So, why can’t we make voters take a test demonstrating they have knowledge of the rules of our republic?  Furthermore, shouldn’t there be a set of qualifications to ensure the safety of the public weal from ignorant, avaricious voters who don’t know, or care about the issues at large?  Hell, a majority doesn’t even know their state senator or representative, yet, they’re pulling the lever.

I admit this barrier will not stop the stupid.  Where there is a will, there is a way.  Besides, we are in a period when citizenship is not valued.   Illegal aliens flood our streets and they don’t have driver’s licenses.  I’m sure their voting as well.


Last year, I was driving on I-85, near Raleigh, when I happened to look in my rearview mirror.  A car was barreling down upon me.  Mind you, I was going at least 75 miles per hour.  I got the hell out of the way.  Sure enough, a young man flew by me as though I was standing still.  What was scary is he had a donut tire on the rear passenger side of his car.  That tire is for emergency purposes only.  Needless to say, I slowed down and stayed away from this imbecile.  I only wish we could do the same with liberal voters.



No comments: